By: Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
A remodeling project that isn’t well planned can often lead to unexpected costs and turn your excitement over the project into an exercise in anxiety – and no one wants that.
You can keep your enthusiasm up by keeping your project on track and controlled. Simply keep a few things in mind and avoid certain pitfalls.
1) Know your budget and be realistic about what you can accomplish with it. And stick within your budget!
2) Ensure your project is well planned. If you’re entering new territory, consultants like those at Michael Nash can help you. Discuss what you are expecting to accomplish with them so they know what it is you want from the project.
3) You can help simplify by sticking to standard sizes for such things as fasteners and fixings. Choosing materials that are relatively common helps ensure that contractors are familiar with them and can accomplish their work relatively easily. It also means that the items are easily found and, if necessary, quickly replaced.
4) Unless you are well skilled and are very familiar with certain types of work, avoid the do-it-yourself approach. The money you think you are saving can easily turn into a very costly venture when work is not done correctly. This is especially true when it comes to electrical work, plumbing, bricklaying and other highly skilled work.
5) Avoid choosing cheap materials and other products as a way to keep costs down. The old saying is true – you get what you pay for. You don’t have to choose the most expensive but for quality (such as durability) consider using at least mid-range cost materials and products. This includes such things as nails and screws. This helps avoid the problem of future costs due to cheap materials.
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
8630-A Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031
Fairfax, VA 22031